Thursday, March 10, 2011

Observsation Leads to Rejuventation

March is a long month with no holidays or breaks.  I think that is why I sometimes struggle with my ideas and energy in March.  I get antsy for spring and so did the children.  Thank goodness I have a wonderful trick to get me energized and rejuvenated!  I watch other teachers teach.

I learn so much by watching other teachers.  I observe the differences in teaching styles, classroom management and flow.  I get inspiration about lessons, music, props, etc. from others in the teaching field.  I love sharing ideas and philosophies. 

It doesn't even have to be the particular dance style or student age group that you observe.  It can be fun if it is entirely different.  You might find new music, new approaches to discipline or themes for your class.  And it is nice to sit and take it all.  For once you are not the doer but the observer.

As a parent I like to observe other parents and learn from them as well.  I have so many phrases I say that I have taken from other mommies.  My favorites include "no thank you"  when I don't like the way my daughter says something to me,  "different rules for different families"  when my daughter asks why her friend gets to do something that she is not allowed to do and "you are full of beans"  which is just fun to say.

So, inspiration can come from many places.  Sometimes that best place is the where you already are; in the studio or classroom.  But this time step out and be the observer.

Have fun observing and energizing for yourself and the children in your life!
Stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment