The week prior to the activity ask the children to observe the leaves on the trees and how they fall to the ground. Ask them to wear autumn inspired colors for the activity (orange, red, yellow, brown, etc.)
Have the children share there week's observations with you. How many different ways did the leaves fall to the ground? Write down all of their descriptive words.
How many different ways can they fall to the ground?
The children at first will probably fling themselves onto the floor. After they have explored this way of falling ask them to show you the opposite way of falling.
- Can you fall slowly?
- Can you fall leading with your elbow?
- Can your fall take you all the way around the room?
- Can you fall softly?
- Can you fall with a partner?
- Can the entire class fall together?
- Can you fall in a scattered pattern through the class or in a big cluster?
This activity works on observation skills, sharing ideas, collaboration and creativity.
Have fun falling with the children in your life!