The Thunderstorm Jitterbug!
What you will need:
- Grab some tambourines, egg shakers, or pots and pans
- Find a big sheet, tablecloth or blanket
- Pull out a flashlight
- Grab some scarves, streamers or a water spritz bottles
- Drape the sheet over you and your little ones .*
- Have each child hold a percussion instrument and slowly move up and down as if you were a raincloud filling up with moisture ready to pour down on your neighborhood.
- When the excitiment builds say "I see lightning" and flash the flashlight up to the ceiling.
- Then ask the kids "what happens after lightning?" Thunder of course! Have them bang away at their instruments.
- Count and see how long before the lightning strikes again!
- Repeat this as many times as you like. You can start with 10 seconds between each "lighting strike" and have the thunder and lightning get closer and closer until....
- After the thunder and lightning comes the rain. Throw off the sheet and dance around with scarves, streamers or even water spritz bottles. You are the raindrops dancing down from the clouds.
We learn through our experiences. If you do a Thunderstorm Jitterbug with your kids then maybe the next time there is a big storm instead of hiding under the bed they will run for their tambourines instead!
Have fun making storm clouds with the kids in your life,