I usually write about dance for little ones but my experience with the teens is important for all teachers/parents and kids of all ages. Dance is a performing craft. Make sure your students/children have time to perform for each other. If you are a parent have your kids perform for you. If you know nothing about dance have them enter the living room and tell you a joke. But learning how to share a talent, share a performance space and take direction is all really important life lessons.
- How to enter and exit the space
- Be aware of their bodies - people fidget without realizing it
- Be aware of how they can use their peripheral vision to become aware of their surroundings and others in the space
- That it is okay to make a mistake
- Create, recreate, change and perfect the dance, movement, joke, juggling routine etc.
- Take compliments, suggestions and constructive criticism
- How to bow and applaud for others as well